Below are a few exam tips that Unwind Your Mind has put together for those of you who are doing Junior Cert or Leaving Cert.
- Don’t spend the night before an exam cramming. You won’t perform well if you are sleep deprived. Instead get an early night and a good night’s sleep.
- On the morning of the exam, get up early so that you’re not in a rush and make time to have a good substantial breakfast.
- Avoid being late by arriving at the exam room ahead of time. This will allow you to calm your nerves before you go in.
- Don’t try to study whilst waiting to enter the exam room and stay away from anyone who is panicking about the exams. Panic can be contagious- so stay away from people who make you feel worse.
- Once in the exam room take a few deep slow breaths. The calmer and more relaxed you are, the more alert you will be.
- If your mind goes blank, close your eyes for a few moments and take a few deep breaths. This will help you regain your composure.
- Avoid looking at other people. They will always seem to be writing more and appear more confident than you. It’s your exam so just worry about yourself.
- After the exam do not engage in a post-mortem. Don’t focus on questions you were unhappy with, instead, concentrate on what has gone well.
- Don’t put on a brave face. If exam stress is getting you down, let someone know how you’re feeling.
- Take a break before starting to study for the next exam. You’ve earned it!to study for the next exam. You’ve earned it!