So I have recently updated a page with links to some of my work. I’ve written thousands of articles over the years but have never really had one place to read a lot of it. I’ve posted links to some of it below. I’m always adding to it, and have lots more to add. So watch this space
Publications I have written for
I have written thousands of articles for different publications. I obviously can’t list them all here but I’ve included some links to a small sample of them below.
- In 2008 I won an Investing on Health Media Award for an article I wrote about a young man in my community called Richard Alcorn who suffered horrific injuries in a car crash. Richard does amazing work on road safety and has won awards for his work. Life’s never over you can always start again
- I was also shortlisted for New Feature Writer of the year in the National Council for the Training of Journalists ( NCTJ) for the article on Richard but also another one I wrote on Ian Howley, a suicide survivor who was campaigning for improved mental health services for young people. ( I don’t have a link to that article but I’m trying to find one so watch this space.)
- Aswell as editing SpunOut.ie from 2012-2017, I wrote for them on a regular basis as a volunteer from 2004. From 2004-2017 I wrote thousands of articles.
- I also published the book- SpunOut.ie Survival Guide to Life. It’s currently out of print and 10,000 copies have been distributed around Ireland. You can access a free pdf or kindle version here.
- I have had articles published in The Irish News ( I did my college placement there and worked on the news desk where I published articles daily), The Irish Times, The Irish Independent, Donegal News, The Donegal Democrat, Tirconaill Tribune, Donegal Daily, The Journal.ie, Broadsheet.ie, A Lust for Life, and I have edited and written thousands of articles for award winning website spunout.ie
The Irish Times:
I have written a number of articles for The Irish Times but I can’t seem to find them anymore. Here’s two below that I was able to.
- Quarter-Life crisis puts teen years in the shade This was a column in the Irish health Supplement that was usually written by Tony Bates. However, during the summer when he was of he often asked members of the Jigsaw Youth Advisory panel to write for him.
- Our young people are Ireland’s most powerful resource This was part of Ciara Kenny’s Generation Emigration section of the Irish Times.
The Irish Sunday Mirror:
I wrote a number of columns aimed at young people for the Donegal Youth Council which appeared in the Donegal News in 2010 and 2011.
- Interview with DJ Nikki Hayes- Overcoming an eating disorder, ovarian cancer and much more
- jamie Oliver comes to Donegal ( Well sort of)
- Sun sea and sand everywhere
- Young Movers Present Paint Me Green Art Exhibition
- School’s out for summer
- The Dangers of the Internet
- It’s That Time of The Year Again
- Coping following a tragedy
I wrote feature articles and kept a health column in the monthly magazine for young people.
- Life’s never over you can always start again
- We have a Green Dream Part one
- We have a Green Dream Part two
- Corruption, Injustice and Poverty
- Sun Sand and A Civil Rights Disaster
- Psst… Pass it On. Gossip Hurts
- City of Shame
- Dear Diary
- Summer Fitness
- Tips for Good Skin
- The Dangers of Crash-Dieting
- Tips for coping with a return to school
I have published a number of articles on The Mighty which is an internationally well-known mental health website based in the USA. The Mighty have over one million registered users and add a new one every 20 seconds. Their stories are viewed and shared more than 90 million times a month.
- You don’t have to be skinny to have an eating disorder
- What Star Wars taught me about my mental health
- Why mental health campaigns should focus more on listening
- When people view those who self harm as the other
- A message for anyone struggling with suicidal thoughts
- Suicide- When you are struggling to ask for help
- Dear depression- its time we both moved on
You can also find me blogging on Medium If you use Medium please feel free to follow me.
Below are a small selection of articles that I have been featured in.
- Donegal News– Petition attracts 56,000 signatures, One woman’s campaign to promote mental health
- Campus.ie: It is vital that young people are aware of the dangers of cyberbullying
- Irish Independent– Raising Teenage Girls
- Lust for Life– Spunout launches their Anxiety Campaign.
- Irish Independent– Social skills on the net
- Summary of measurement conference
- Donegal Daily– Donegal marks World Mental Health Day
- Silicon Republic– SpunOut creates web tool for youths to find support.
- Plan.ie – Because I am a Girl Interview
Mental Health Journals I have been published in:
I was involved in the writing of International Declaration for Youth Mental Health and as a result it was published in a number of mental health journals.
- Early Intervention In Psychiatry, Volume 7, Issue 2, May 2013, Pages 103–108
- Community Practitioner The International Declaration on Youth Mental Health 2011. 2012. Community Practitioner, 85(2), pp. 10.
- The International declaration for Youth Mental Health – a summary
- The Declaration for Youth Mental Health
- Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) – the International Declaration of Youth Mental Health